I wonder why it took a foreigner to come and make a movie , about a theme amply illustrated in bollywood , to get us international recognition?
I saw the movie a few days back , and its edgy feel as well as cinematography is commendable , yet i wonder why none of our guys could capture those key moments , that make this film stand out.
Do we loose perspective when we are in the frame ourselves , possibly , because a third person point of view , and thus his treatment of the script seems to have made all the difference.
I feel happy that Rehman won the Golden Globe , yet amused by this talk of Indian industry getting its due recognition , for its known that Q&A , the book which is the basis for this movie , was floating around in bombay for quite a while , and it had no takers.
Even after Danny Boyle finished the filming , they had trouble finding Distributor's , so much for the foresight of visionaries of my industry , its only after Fox Searchlight and Warner brother's got involved that it saw the light of the day.
I accept that part of the crew as well as the plot is Indian , but thats about it , The Producer , Director , Male lead , are all foreigner's , as well as the exhibitor's , so how is it an achievement for Indian Film Industry i don't quite understand.
I wish in the near future , we make a film , whole and sole indian, which makes sense, critically and commercially , and that it goes to win the international accoldes, and only after that , should we talk about recognition.
I think Indian Media Industry in general needs a remixing, and i want to be a part of thsi movement.
cheers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Good post with all valid points, except a small one. The book's film rights were sold to fox long ago- around or before the time the book was published. After that, many indian directors wanted to make a film out of it but couldn't because the rights were already sold.
I agree with the rest of ur post tho. - Shishir.
Thanx shishir for ur insight ,
Just that i read a recent interview of Rishi kapoor where he stated that he had the offer through someone to make a movie base on Q and A about 2 yrs ago , this interview is in this edition (21 Jan ) of Filmfare ...
Thats why i stated the point...
Cheers!
Post a Comment